Sunday, March 29, 2009

Man in Manville


I made this image in Manville yesterday. I was watching this guy, who was carrying a very large bag of something, while walking along the railroad tracks. He kept stopping every 20 feet or so and using his cell phone - I couldn't help but to wonder who he was. Was he a hobo walking along the tracks waiting for the train to start running so he could hop on? Why was he using his phone every 20 feet? Did he walk to the laundry and on his way back the train pull in and blocked his way back to his house so he had to walk all the way around the train? Maybe he was calling somebody to pick him up so he didn't have to walk around the whole train... is he Santa?

I know somebody is going to wonder why I left the power lines in the photo. Some photogs would take them out. I personally feel that if you digitally manipulate an image where you remove, add or swap an object it's no longer a photograph, it becomes an illustration. And, as a editorial photographer, it's unethical. I am also fascinated by the ugliness of power lines - and yet at times the symmetry makes beautiful lines and shapes. Just look around - it's almost impossible not to see power lines...

No comments:

Post a Comment